Here we list events organised by our project as well as other events we hope will interest you. If you would like to advertise your event relating to the history of sexual science here please contact us.
Transitional States: Hormones at the Crossroads of Art and Science
1st February - 30th NovemberFree
Transitional States: Hormones at the Crossroads of Art and Science delivers an international programme that uses art and public debates to raise awareness about the important impact hormone therapies can have. It explores the theme of hormone use and abuse, both in the past and in the present.
The Transitional States: Hormones at the Crossroads of Art and Science programme includes a range of public discussions in each city the exhibition visits; Lincoln and London in the UK; Barcelona in Spain; and Bologna in Italy.
Each location will host three free public discussions, where a panel containing specialists from a range of disciplines, including artists, authors, feminist activists, historians, legal experts, LGBT activists, medical professionals, philosophers, and sociologists will explore a variety of topics such as hormone uses and transsexuality, non-binary genders, and intersexuality; hormones and women’s health, birth control, fertility, menopause; hormones, the pharmaceutical industry and sexuality.
Confirmed speakers for these discussions include:
– Dr Hera Cook (University of Otago, New Zealand), historian of sexuality and modern history.
– Dr Alex Dymock (Royal Holloway University of London, UK), researcher in socio-legal studies and cultural criminology.
– Fox Fisher, artist, film-maker and trans activist.
– Dr David A. Griffiths (University of Surrey, UK), historian of medicine.
– Dr Alana Harris (King’s College London, UK) historian of sexuality and modern British history.
– Sarah Homewood (artist).
– Dr Ericka Johnson (Linköping University, Sweden), medical sociologist.
– Paris Lees, writer and broadcaster.
– Owl (Ugla Stefanía), non-binary trans activist, co-creator for My Genderation and Advisor for All About Trans.
– Dr Christina Richards, applied psychologist specialising in sexuality and gender.
– Prof. Celia Roberts (Lancaster University, UK), sociologist and Professor of Gender and Science Studies.
– Rebecca Root, actress, comedian, and star of the hit BBC series, Boy Meets Girl.
– Holly Slingsby (artist).
– Valentino Vecchietti, intersex rights activist, independent academic and author.
– Dr Janet Weston (London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK), historian of medicine and sexuality.
– Prof. Stephen Whittle (Manchester Metropolitan University, UK), transgender activist and Professor of Equalities Law.